Monday, June 4, 2012

The final chapter

The first year of our mission we were not able to walk outside of the temple grounds,in Nov. with the change of Temple Presidents we were allowed to walk further and we have taken advantage of it with a lot of caution.When we walk in the mornings the sights we see are hard to capture but today I really tried and the people were more than happy to pose for me as I took their pictures. This is a picture of home sweet home for too many of the Filipinos.

This is right around the corner from the first picture and is an intersection right by a mall called Robinsons Galleria

A statue at the entrance to the Mall

The jeepney is the favorite mode of transportation to the mall.

This major street is called EDSA and is always super busy. When I started taking pictures some homeless children that were under the bridge darted across 3 lanes of this traffic just to be in a picture. They were so dirty I wish I could have taken a picture of their hands.

It is only 5:30 in the morning so the traffic is rally light compared to what it will be in an hour.

Cardboard is the padding used for sitting and sleeping on the concrete. Notice the black wall behind her., that is how it looks everywhere it is from the pollution.

Street vendor. I would never trust anything from these vendors. The Sister in the pink is a single Missionary sister that serves with us. She is Filipino American. Behind them is a favorite urinating spot for the Filipino men.

The homeless children that ran across the freeway.

Breakfast on the street.

Selling breakfast food in a baggie.

This vendor is selling tofu. They scoop it into a cup and pour a sauce over it.


Motorcycles are everywhere and swerve in and out of traffic. The only fatal accidents we have seen have been by motorcyclists.

Thes policeman saw us taking photos and tried to pose for us.

More traffic

This group eating breakfast on the street were more than happy to pose for us.

More happy picture posers

I tried really hard to capture someone leaping in and out of a jeepney but they do it so fast I could not get one. Many times they will have several hanging off the back.


This is a small jeepney packed to the brim.

Street vendors down the street from the temple.

Our going away FHE. For the first time here the Filipinos did all of the dinner and it was all Filipino food. I did not like most of it. They eat everything cold and tasteless.

I just don't like cold meatballs and noodles plus the taste was not good.

Sister Iris a sweet Filipino sister that has such a hard life but always a big smile.

Trying to enjoy dinner.

President and Sister Cuyong

The Evans is the blue go home the day before us. The Roundys go home in July.

The Flemmings are missionareis in charge of the Missionary recovery center, or all of the sick missionaries throughout the Philippines. They go to the same Ward as we do.

Elder and Sister Aban, us and Elder and Sister Cazon we take the Filipinos to church with us each week. They will miss us

Our morning walk.

Our last trip to the Mall . We have gotten to know the Morby's really fast in  the short time they have been here  only since March. We really love them and will miss them a lot.

We also love the Hawkes and will miss them too.

Sister Molina is a sweet ordinance worker who stayed up all night to make that bag for me before we leave. She loves to talk but I only understand about half of what she says. It was really sweet of her to come by.
When

1 comment:

  1. Wow! First of all, thanks for showing us the real deal. I admire you for sticking it out there. It would definitely be a challenge for me.
    You look so thin. Hope you're ok. I will be SO GLAD....when you are on US soil. Oh...have I told you that already???? It's true

    ReplyDelete